Educators are responsible for ensuring that all renewal options and activities meet the following guidelines:

An individual who is employed in a position that requires South Carolina educator certificate and is employed in a South Carolina public school district must earn renewal credits through professional development activities that:

  • Directly relate to the educator’s professional growth and development plan.
  • Support the goals of the employing public school district.
  • Promote student achievement, as required by State Board of Education Regulation 43-205.1, Assisting, Developing, and Evaluating Professional Teaching (ADEPT), and Regulation 43-165.1, Program for Assisting, Developing, and Evaluating Principal Performance (ADEPP).

An educator who is employed in a South Carolina public school district or State Department of Education-approved Renewal Credit Plan agency and holds a position that requires South Carolina educator certification must:

  • Earn a minimum of 120 renewal credits that meet the appropriate eligibility criteria for each certificate renewal option/activity, as specified in the renewal credit matrix.
  • Maintain all required verification, as described in the renewal credit matrix.
  • Adhere to all district/educational agency policies related to pre-approval and processing of renewal credit.
  • Submit necessary verification to the designated district/agency administrator for review, approval, and signature.

An educator who is not currently employed in a South Carolina school district or an approved entity (such as the State Department of Education or a college or university) may also wish to maintain his or her educator certification. The coursework must relate to one of the following:

  • The educator’s current area(s) of certification.
  • Coursework leading to another area of certification.
  • Coursework in special education and or technology.

An educator who is not currently employed in a South Carolina school district or an approved educational entity who has earned renewal credits for a state educator certificate must submit both official college or university transcripts or appropriate documentation on the completion of a State Department of Education recertification course and a Request for Change/Action Form to the Office of Educator Services for processing.

Any educator who has not earned a master’s degree must earn at least sixty renewal credits (three graduate credits) in graduate-level coursework to renew his or her current certificate. Educators who hold Career and Technology Education Work-Based certification exclusively are not required to fulfill the graduate-level coursework requirement.

VirtualSC PD provides official documentation of completion for all renewal level courses.  If you a took a course prior to April 1, 2013, you would have received your official document via an email attachment to the email address on your account when you registered for the course (or you may have accessed the information through our previous system).

If you took a course after April 1, 2013, all official documentation is connected to your OpenSIS account.  For specific directions on accessing certificates in OpenSIS, please follow this link: Retrieving Renewal Certificates.

The Office of Educator Services will only accept the official documentation sent to you by VirtualSC PD to add the renewal credits to your license.

VirtualSC PD offers graduate credit courses in conjunction with The College of Charleston.  If you have taken a graduate level course through VirtualSC PD after June 1, 2009, and need proof of completion, you will need to request your official transcript from The College of Charleston.

To Request your official transcripts, follow these steps:

  1. Log in to My Charleston and verify that your grade has been submitted and is showing in your grades
  2. Navigate to The College of Charleston’s Transcript page to find out more information to request your transcript from The College of Charleston.
  3. Complete a Request for Change/Action form and mail it to the Office of Teacher Certification to add the graduate credits to your South Carolina teaching certificate.
  4. Complete a Student Legal Name Change/Correction Request form if needed.

If you need assistance logging into My Charleston, click here for login instructions.
For questions or concerns about your official transcript, please contact the Registrar’s Office at The College of Charleston by clicking here.

Do you need replacements of official completion documentation? Complete the Lost Documentation form to request replacement transcripts. Please allow up to three (3) business days for us to retrieve your official documents, and send them to you via email.

VirtualSC PD does not not mail hard copies of official documents, so please make sure you provide us with your email address. We also do not resend your official transcripts for graduate courses. For replacement transcripts, please re-order them from The College of Charleston.

Although the Educator Services call center and walk-in services are suspended at this time, they are still available to assist you and welcome the opportunity to do so.

To see information about the one-year grace period for certificates expiring June 30, 2020, go to

The purpose of the Educator Services website is to help educators and the general public find up-to-date, relevant information pertaining to all facets of teacher certificate, including the certification process, regulation changes, updating existing certificates and links to information for educators.

Any changes or updates to an individual’s certificate file require submission of a Request for Change/Action Form to the Office of Educator Services, located at 8301 Parklane Rd, Columbia, SC 29223.