Delivery, Enrollment, and Facilitation
This is a mastery-based course with no discussion forums. The course will be delivered in a fully online format. This course is non-facilitated, and is designed to be completed independently. It is self-paced, with an enrollment period of 60 days, which begins immediately upon confirmation of registration. A Help Forum is included in the course that will be carefully monitored by an online facilitator.
21st Century skills are considered to be some of the most important skills to succeed in today’s workplace. This course is designed to explore the essential elements needed for the acquisition of knowledge and competencies to promote 21st century skills. Participants in this course will learn about the need for collaboration, communication, and critical and creative thinking. This course prepares K–12 educators by engaging them in content that promotes 21st century ideas and understanding by focusing specifically on personal qualities and abilities, interpersonal skills, and professional competencies.
Session 1: Student Orientation
Session 2: 21st Century Personal Qualities and Abilities
- Explore the definition of personal skills
- Identify personal qualities and skills that are important to employers
- Discover why strong personal skills are important
- Investigate ways to improve personal skills
- Understand how human skills are often more important than technical skills
- Recognize the most important soft skills needed in the workplace
Session 3: 21st Century Interpersonal Skills
- Define interpersonal skills
- Understand why interpersonal skills are important
- Discover ways to develop and strengthen interpersonal skills
- Explore example of strong interpersonal skills
- Recognize the top interpersonal skills needed in the workplace
Session 4: 21st Century Professional Competencies
- Consider the competencies of a 21st century teacher
- Explore the most competencies for success in the 21st century
- Identify the skills that teachers need to develop an ever-changing society
- Discover the 7 core 21st-century teacher competencies
- Reflect on personal qualities to discover steps in becoming a 21st century teacher
This is an intermediate level course for teachers, literacy coaches, curriculum specialists, professional development specialists, or other school personnel. Participants are expected to have regular access to computers with Internet access. In addition, participants should be proficient with browsing the Internet, uploading and downloading content, navigating to computer files, and with using word processing software, email, and attachments.
All materials in this course are the property of the South Carolina Department of Education Office of VirtualSC PD. All course materials needed/required for the workshop are available online.